MSU Extension is now offering a virtual active parenting courses over zoom- online registration is open for the teen course- please use the form below. Classes are limited to 10 people.
We have created a waiting list for future classes. Please use the registration form
below and mark the wait list option to be added to that list. We will contact wait
list individuals by email and/or phone when we open up another class.
The class will cost $15 and scholarships are available if needed. This includes the course materials which will be shipped to you prior to the start of class.
- Active Parenting (For Caregivers of Elementary Aged Youth) coming soon- please fill out the form below to be added to our waiting list
- Active Parenting for Teens will be 6 weeks March 18th -April 22nd from 6-8pm virtually
Millions of parents have achieved success with Active Parenting—and you can, too! Written by parenting expert (and father) Dr. Michael Popkin, this class is designed for parents of children ages 5 to 12. It will help you learn ways to raise responsible children who are able to resist negative peer pressure. Over the course of six sessions, you’ll learn non-violent discipline techniques plus effective communication and encouragement skills to build a solid foundation for the upcoming teen years.
Video, discussion, and activities make for a fast-paced workshop
Active Parenting 4th Edition uses entertaining video scenes to demonstrate common parenting challenges and solutions. Each workshop allows plenty of time for group discussion and activities.
Here’s what you’ll be learning:
(Note: the content and format of each workshop is determined by the leader of that
workshop and may differ from what is shown below.
Your workshop may provide a Parent’s Guide and Parent’s Workbook;if not, you can order them here. Check with your workshop leader for complete details.)
Session I: The Active Parent
- Styles of parenting
- The method of choice
- How brain development affects children’s behaviour and decision-making
Session IV: Building Courage & Self-Esteem
- The Think-Feel-Do Cycle
- The power of encouragement
Session II: Cooperation & Communication
- Who owns the problem?
- Using active communication
- Feelings, empathy, and problem-solving
Session V: Understanding and Redirecting Misbehavior
- Why children misbehave
- Eliminating power struggles
- Handling anger
- Problem-solving with FLAC (as seen on “Oprah”)
Session III: Responsibility & Discipline
- Effective non-violent discipline
- “I” messages
- Logical consequences
Session VI: Active Parenting for School Success
- 7 Smart Things for School Success
- Structuring homework time
- Family talks
- How to start now to prevent future use of tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs
The Active Parenting of Teens program includes the essential Active Parenting model plus:
- Teens & technology (the Internet, social networking sites, etc.)
- The latest in teen drug use prevention (including prescription drugs)
- Teen bullying: how to spot it, how to handle it
- Special stepfamily considerations
- How brain development affects teen behavior and decision- making
- Improved discipline and communication
- Updated teen sexuality issues
Active Parenting Course Registration
We will respond to your application within 1 business day.
denotes required fields.
Let's Talk About Discipline
If you missed these live interactive parenting discussions, recordings will soon be available as videos.
Let's Talk About Discipline: Infant, Toddlers and Preschool age
Let's Talk About Discipline:
Early and Late Elementary age